YouthBuild DC Public Charter School (YouthBuild PCS) is an alternative high school for young people seeking to transform their lives by re-engaging in their education in a non-traditional school environment. YouthBuild PCS prepares students for post secondary education and the workplace by offering, in English and Spanish, academic, vocational and workforce development programs. YouthBuild PCS believes that service to the community is an essential part of the transformative process. Therefore, students serve their community through volunteer projects and by creating housing for low-income residents in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
For more information about YouthBuild PCS, visit youthbuildpcs.org.
The Transition Specialist helps to plan, facilitate, and provide oversight of students’ post-secondary placement. This is a full-time position, with occasional weekend and evening service hours. The Transition Specialist reports to the Head of School.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Career and College Readiness
- Collaborate with the Transitions Director to build students’ career awareness and career readiness skills; work with students to develop Individual Transitions Plans.
- Set up job site visits and career exploration activities to introduce youth to various jobs, careers, and apprenticeship/internship opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Transitions Director to build students’ college awareness and college readiness skills; work with students to develop Individual Transitions Plans.
- Set up campus visits and college exploration activities to introduce youth to various jobs, careers, and apprenticeship/internship opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Head of School, the Construction Manager, and other school leaders to secure student placement in internships, apprenticeships, and other employment opportunities.
- Communicate via phone, email, and social media to follow-up with students on their employment status.
- Conduct site visits, phone calls, email communication, and Social Security Number employment inquiries to verify student placement.
- Track Alumni two years after exit to ensure retention in job/career opportunities.
- Provide support to alumni with job hunts and career readiness.
- Work to develop a resource guide to assist students with post-secondary placement.
- Help support the development of a YouthBuild Industry Advisory Council.
AmeriCorps Program Support
- Recruit and enroll AmeriCorps student members in accordance with applicable CNCS guidelines, grant agreements, etc.
- Track member progress toward achieving performance measures as outlined in the AmeriCorps grant agreement.
- Use YouthBuild’s database(s) to track the placement status of current students and all alumni, working in sync with the Post-Secondary Education Associate to verify placement of alumni.
- Enter data into funder-sponsored databases and write reports on placement status and activities.
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, with at least two years of experience teaching at risk youth and demonstrated success assisting youth in obtaining employment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Database management experience a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred.
- Flexible, energetic, and resourceful.
- Committed to working with a diverse group of traditionally under-served youth, and believe that all students can achieve success.
HOW TO APPLY
Click here to apply directly to the Transitions Specialist position.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
YouthBuild PCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not allow discrimination with respect to employment or any of the terms or conditions of employment because of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, marital status or religion.