Location: Anywhere in California
Description of job:
The Director of School Quality Support will be a key leader and project manager for initiatives directly related to charter school growth and quality. Specifically, the Director will help CCSA’s Schools Team advocate improved school performance by engaging with school leaders, creating and managing tools and resources, and encouraging and evaluating effective practices in schools. This leader will utilize school site experience to play an essential role in school accountability, development, and support.
Overview of responsibilities:
The Director of School Quality Support (Director) is a member of CCSA’s Schools Team reporting to the Vice President, School Quality Support (Vice President), and will work closely with multiple members of the Schools Team and teammates across the Association. The Director will be responsible for managing and contributing to high impact projects related to school quality and the creation and dissemination of resources to schools. The Director will help the Schools Team identify and utilize best practices in the charter sector to gauge quality and provide support.
Overview of Schools Team:
The Schools Team leads initiatives championing charter school quality and closing the achievement gap for students in California. In particular, the team focuses on these areas:
- Fueling strategic charter growth
- Strengthening schools’ academic performance
- Strengthening schools’ fiscal, operational & governance practices
- Understanding key trends in the charter sector through research and member engagement to inform policy solutions aligned with quality and equity
- Ensuring CCSA’s advocacy and member supports are in service of quality and are informed by school leaders’ perspectives
- Convening schools for learning, to share resources, and to anchor the sector in quality and equity
- Build a continuum of supports for schools: In partnership with the Vice President, the Director will help plan and create a continuum of support for schools. In alignment with team and organizational priorities, these supports are intended to help schools open with and maintain operational integrity and academic excellence. This work will involve research, creation, curation, and the dissemination of resources, as well as hosting live and virtual learning opportunities for school leaders.
- Monitor school performance: The Director will support the Vice President with the creation and revision of accountability structures for new schools and schools preparing for renewal. The Director will talk to charter school leaders about delicate topics including the importance of accountability and be able to give effective feedback.
- Project management: The Director will be responsible for overseeing cross team initiatives related to school quality. This person will need to set vision and targets, create systems and effectively manage themselves and the team to accomplish the goals.
In addition to these key roles, the Director, along with the Vice President, will represent the educator experience and perspective on the Schools Team. The Director will be called upon to give feedback on work, liaise with school leaders, and shape additional CCSA programming and messaging.
- Skilled teacher leader or other instructional school site role with experience leading change efforts outside the classroom, plus experience working with multiple student populations.
- Commitment to and experience with data-based decision making to improve student outcomes.
- Ability to navigate difficult conversations and hold firm to the Association’s belief in quality and accountability.
- Experience leading professional development using best practices of adult learning.
- Very strong project and time management skills with the ability to track progress of multiple projects at one time and prioritize cross team requests and proposals. Manages projects with clear outcomes and priorities in mind.
- Take initiative and ownership for outcomes and exercise sound judgment in day-to-day decision-making both independently and as a part of a team.
- Works well with others while also not afraid to use own voice and express contradictory perspectives.
- Very effective written and oral communications skills enough to write comprehensive reports for presentation to various audiences.
- Eye for detail but also someone who can step outside of the details to design efficient processes.
- Skilled at seeing issues from multiple perspectives.
- Practice identifying root causes to issues and proposing solutions.
- Growth mindset and willingness to give and receive ongoing feedback.
- Ability to travel occasionally to visit school sites
Typically, these skills and experiences result from considerable experience as a teacher leader or administrator at a charter school. The candidate will likely have 5+ years of school experience with increasing leadership experience over time.
How to Apply
When applying please submit a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What is it about our mission that resonates with your experience and/or interests?
- What makes you an exceptional candidate for this position in particular?
Benefits and Salary
Salary range for this position is $73,900 - $85,000/year depending on experience. In addition, CCSA offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision coverage upon hire, 401K eligibility and up to 6% company match after the first 90 days of employment, 13 paid holidays, and generous paid time off.