Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools :
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 3 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions an d new launches in Tampa Bay , FL (2021) , and Jacksonville, FL (2022) !
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
. About Austin
Austin is a vibrant city filled with a rich cultural heritage and is ranked as the #1 Best Place to Live for the second year in a row by U.S. News and World Report. The city of Austin is the state capital and holds the ranking as the 11 th largest city in the United States. Currently, Austin is home to 16 of IDEA's schools and serves nearly 7,800 students at campuses in Greater Austin.
In a city that is a hub for knowledge, IDEA is working to support the community through education, which is the single most effective anti-poverty strategy we possess as a nation. This is why we focus on AP courses for all students, college acceptance, and matriculation. Only 1 in 8 Austin students graduate college ready. Changing this statistic is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students. Our goal is to serve over 10,000 students by 2022. Role Mission:
The Special Programs Coach ensures that all students across IDEA San Antonio, regardless of individual ability, are on the path to and through college. The Special Programs coach supports the regional portfolio of schools in the areas of special education student academic achievement through effective IEP implementation, high rigor in RISE classrooms, and Critical Student Intervention (CSI). S/he also supports programming that ensures success for 504 and EL students. The Special Programs Coach leads a team that ensures consistent and quality coaching, training, and data debrief support for those managing special education teachers, interventionists, and teachers serving English Learners in his/her region through building strong business partnerships with regional leaders and the academic services team.AccountabilitiesEnsure successful implementation of CSI in their region so that 50% of the CSI students grow 2.0 years in Reading and 60% grow 2.0 years in Math (or end the year On Grade Level)
15% increase in number of Special Education students in the region meeting Closing the Gap STAAR growth goal
- Read and interpret complex data in order to prioritize high leverage next action steps to increase CSI student achievement
- Conduct field observations of CSI classrooms at campuses in your region to increase student achievement data.
- Ensure delivery of high quality trainings for CSI based on specific regional needs.
- Deeply understand the CSI model, last year's results, and priorities for improvement within the first month of hire
- Maintain a strong working relationship with National Institute for Direct Instruction (NIFDI) and the regional DI Program Manager as key partners in CSI programming
- Work with campuses to create an effective tutorial plan for special education students
90|50% of training participants will respond to the key quality measure survey question with 8+|10, with 90% average attendance & 90% achieving target proficiency in training deliverables or skills
- Ensure all special education teachers in the region are proficient in Illuminate and teacher dashboard in order to be able to pull student data effectively
- Ability to read and analyze assessment data to prioritize the highest leverage next action steps
- Observe and coach special education teacher managers around holding highly effective data conversations to increase student achievement results.
- Mentor regional interventionist, RISE, and special education course leaders in the region
- Assist campus leaders in hiring high quality certified special education teachers who understand and are committed to IDEAs Special Education service delivery model.
85% Special Education teacher, Interventionist, and co-teacher retention from August to August
- Gather information from teachers and leaders in the region to determine the most relevant topics for teacher training
- Work with Special Education Department in region and national for identifying high quality sessions that are needed for the region
- Lead sessions during New Teacher Institute, Course Collaboration, Mid Year Hire Trainings, and Bi-Weekly Webinars)
- Hold regional feedback and rehearsals of all Professional Development sessions
Build relationships of trust and collaboration with teachers and leaders, so that 100% report being satisfied or highly satisfied with the partnership
- Partner with staffing team to design and execute regional teacher retention strategy
- Monitor campus culture and partner with lead teams to coach and retain teachers
- Build relationships with teachers and communicate TCP initiatives
Live values of IDEA
- Initiate regular communication about the performance of students and about the health of the business partnership itself
- Embrace the challenge of navigating complex business partnerships (sometimes encountering resistance), and seize this challenge as an opportunity to influence transformation at any and all levels of the organization
- Help business partners understand the connection between sometimes seemingly dichotomous priorities (e.g. national/regional, individual/collective, short term/long term, coaching/management)
Supervisory Responsibilities :
- Believes and is committed to our mission: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Is driven by outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
Serve as regional leader of Special Education support team (LSSPs & SLPs, CSI coaches, etc). Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree required, Master's Degree preferred
At least 2 years of teacher experience required
Proven success with Special Education student achievement
Knowledge of English language development and understanding of effective EL supports
ELA content knowledge a plus
Direct Instruction Decoding program knowledge preferred
- Licenses or Certifications:
Texas teaching certificate
Special Education teaching certificate preferred Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong regional business partnerships required
- Strong instructional coaching required (ELA preferred)
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.