About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
The Finance Manager/Associate is a key member of the five-person finance team and will report to the Associate Director of Finance. As a function, the finance team reports directly into the CEO and serves as a strategic internal consultancy on major decisions.
The objective of the finance team is to maximize student outcomes over the long-term through the efficient, effective, and sustainable allocation of financial resources. This is accomplished through an effective balance of hard and soft skills as our work is rooted in empowering organizational leaders, who bring academic expertise and proximity to students, with high-quality financial information and advising to make effective decisions.
This position will not have a direct report but will actively support the finance team’s culture of continuous learning and shared voice through frequent participation and leadership in team meetings.
Serve as financial adviser
- Advise school leaders (principals) and operations managers on fiscal operating decisions and multi-year planning, and collaborate with them both in person and remotely to achieve financial sustainability goals
- Analyze trends in spending and behavior in order to maximize resource allocation and student results
- Serve as a hands-on thought partner to regional office leaders on their spending decisions and expense projections
- Empower school and regional office leaders with tools, information, and analyses to help them make thoughtful and impactful decisions in service of our students
- Support on due diligence and execution of $10M+ facility financing transactions for our schools
Develop into a financial systems product manager
- Maximize the value of Adaptive Insights, our financial planning system, by integrating with our data warehouse and building cross-functional analyses, enabling the organization to make data-informed decisions to maximize student outcomes
- Develop a multi-year systems strategy and roadmap, building more data connections, implementing new product functionalities, and streamlining processes to scale our finance team
- Create and manage effective trainings for our 75+ school and regional office leaders
Grow into a finance team leader
- Contribute to the multi-year vision and annual initiatives for the finance team
- Own and deliver quarterly updates and results to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ Finance Committee
- Support the finance team’s culture of continuous learning and shared voice through frequent participation and leadership in team meetings
Grow into potential stretch assignments that may include, but are not limited to…
- Serving as the Finance Lead for our KIPP Through College (KTC) team, enabling the KTC team to effectively prepare our 3,000+ and growing alumni to lead choice-filled lives
- Developing into a charter school facilities financing expert, building relationships with various lenders and advising our senior leaders on specific financing opportunities in order to provide high-quality, low-cost learning environments for all of our students
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ mission: firm belief that all children will learn and deserve access to an excellent public education
- Approaches work with joy and curiosity
- Actively seeks personal and professional growth
- Strategic and analytical thinker who exhibits excellent judgment
- Achievement-oriented and can translate plans into action
- Utilizes systems-thinking to contextualize opportunities for improvement
- Synthesizes and simplifies complex concepts to clearly communicate them to key stakeholders
- Builds relationships to motivate and engage a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders
- Self‐directs and exhibits flexibility in a fast‐paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong skills and comfort with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Docs
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in any field, or equivalent practical experience
- Financial analysis and modeling experience
- Understanding of financial planning and analysis
- Skilled at analyzing, interpreting, and visualizing data
- Familiarity with SQL and Tableau
- Familiarity with cloud enterprise software, ideally Adaptive Insights or similar financial planning software
Education and Experience
- 4+ years of relevant work experience
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.