Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 3 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), and Jacksonville, FL (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
IDEA Public Schools : to be provided as template stock language and relevant to whether role is national or regional
Role Mission: The Finance Team strives to support the leadership at IDEA as we work together to meet and exceed our ambitious financial and student achievement goals. The Vice President of Finance Compliance and Development will report to the Chief Financial Officer a n d lead the Finance Compliance and Development Team to provide high quality guidance, professional development opportunities and coaching for IDEA staff implementing finance policies and procedures. Additionally, the Vice President of Finance Compliance and Development will support the development of members of the Finance Team and provide support regarding all aspects of federal, state and local financial compliance.
Achieve annual operating income goals to ensure long term financial stability for IDEA Public Schools across all network entities.
• Ensure national, regional and campus leaders understand the importance of financial results and their responsibility as IDEA Public Schools fiduciaries, support them in making real connections to their functional work through de velopment programming and resources highlighting key elements of monthly and annual financial results on an entity and regional basis
• Support in the development of the ability of members of the Finance Team across Financial Planning and Analysis, Treasury, Accounting and IPS Finance to educate leaders regarding financial results and key performance indicators through internal development and resources , observation and real-time coaching by members of the Finance Learning and Development Team
• Revise and build resources and professional development based on trends and organizational need especially as circumstances change and new policy focus, funding streams or investment areas develop
• Attend, engage in, and sometimes lead Finance Lead Team operating mechanisms including weekly tacticals , strategy meetings and monthly statement review meetings to ensure appropriate communication and support from the Finance Compliance and Development Team
Measurable Goal s :
Achieve the operating income target by the end of the fiscal year across all entities . 80% of organizations end the year on discretionary target or with a surplus .
Ensure compliance with federal, state and local financial law, policy and procedure
- Strategically l ead the Finance Compliance and Development Team to serve as local finance policy experts
- Own the development and revisio n process for f inance policies across legal entities in partnership with entity Controllers, the Board Governance and Relations team, and legal counsel across entities
- Design and implement a robust feedback process to gain insight into the impact of policy changes across teams prior to recommendations being made to fiduciary boards
- Partner closely with the Internal Audit and Finance T eam s to ensure
- internal audits are supported by the Finance Team
- internal audit results are cascaded and understood by appropriate parties
- corrective action plans are robust, time bound and implemented with fidelity by the Finance Team
- Partner with Schools Team leaders to ensure strong Campus Needs Assessments and Student Achievement Improv ement Plans are robust , meet requirements, and comprehensively describe federal entitlement fund investments
Measurable Goal : No Fiscal Year- End external audit findings across network entities .
Design and execute finance development programming to assure IDEA Public Schools meets financial , academic and operational goals
- Partner with cross-functional headquarters areas to offer best-in-class service model to national, regional and campus teams
- Conduct an annual needs assessment modeled after the Internal Audit team 's risk assessment to inform strategic professional development approach, partner with the Internal Audit team to prepare
- Report the development programming strategic plan to national, regional and campus based leaders, financial managers, and Finance Committees across fiduciary boards
- Create and execute high quality onboarding and year one trainings aligned to highest need skills, with targeted in-field follow-up for leaders and financial managers to assure mastery , with a focus on officers and fiduciaries
- Ensure Business Clerks on campuses and Financial Managers across national and regional teams continue to receive high quality, differentiated development options i ncluding but not limited to leading weekly tacticals , quarterly professional development, financial manager onboarding program, two-day summer institute , and high quality resources available on the Finance Team intranet site
- Fully leverage existing resources such as Roadmap, IDEA's internal professional development software and the custom Finance Team dashboard in partnership with the Financial Planning and Analysis Team
Measurable Goal: 90% of organizational leaders agree they have the y have what they need to stay in financial compliance and meet their goals .
150% of required training hours available to new and returning officers via Roadmap and live interactive sessions each fiscal year .
Evaluate program performance relative to investment
- Evaluate areas of investment risk modeled after Internal Audit risk analysis
- Establish annual evaluation plans assessing no fewer than ten major areas of investment through individual transactions or in aggregate, in addition to a review of marketing investment and full time equivalent ratios across national teams in IDEA Texas and IPS Enterprises
- Establish appropriate national or regional financial benchmarking to support evaluation
- Report risk assessment and annual evaluation plan to internal stakeholders and Finance and Audit Committees across fiduciary boards
- Partner with functional teams and key partners such as the Research and Development Team and Internal Audit to collect evaluation supporting data
Measurable Goals: Complete return on investment evaluations prior the second quarter of the fiscal year. Identify $1MM in organizational cost savings per fiscal year.
Improve the Finance Team cu stomer service model and results
- Establish improved methods to determine Finance Team customer service results through maintainable mechanisms such as periodic surveys and qualitative data collection
- Partner with the Chief Financial Officer to revise customer service philosophy and service level agreements
- Design programming directed towards the Finance Team improving the end user experience, focusing on the Finance Team customer service philosophy and service level agreements
- Establish clear reporting mechanisms for all customer service data points, report data and insights during weekly tactical and check-ins
- Ensure Finance Teams are meeting help desk ticket system goals related to timely responses and customer satisfaction by region
- Build strong accountability mechanisms and standard operating procedures better defining the appropriate response in various helpdesk ticket circumstances such as timeline pauses or referral to other functional teams
Measurable Goals: 95% Zendesk Customer service by the end of the fiscal year by region with no more than 5% breached Tickets .
90% of organizational leaders agree they have they have what they need to stay in financial compliance and meet their goals.
85% Business Clerk Retention .
Live V alues of IDEA
- Believes and is committed to our mission: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Is driven by outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- Embodies IDEA's core values
Supervisory Responsibilities : Director of Compliance and Evaluation , Director of Finance Development, Manager of Business Clerk Development
- Mission Focus - focuses on IDEA's core purpose of getting all students into college
- Communication - displays exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Problem Solving - able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize information to develop strategies for achieving goals and objectives
- Continuous Improvement - proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
- Judgment - prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously and follows through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures
- Education: (Required) Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration, or economics
(Preferred) Master's degree in accounting, business administration, or economics
- Experience:(Required) 8-1 0 years' experience in financ e leadership, financial compliance , finance professional development design , or related fields
(Preferred) 10+ years' experience in the above
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and Enterprise Resource Planning Software
- Certifications (if applicable): n/a
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders of varying degrees of analytical understanding
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Constantly searching for and learning more regarding analysis methods and tools
- Organizing work, coordinating projects, setting priorities, meeting deadlines
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established policy and procedural guidelines
- Hold ethics and values to high standards
Salaries for people entering this role typically start between $114,400 and $144,200, commensurate with relevant qualifications and experience. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational goal attainment.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.