Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools :
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 3 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions an d new launches in Tampa Bay , FL (2021) , and Jacksonville, FL (2022) !
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
. About the Rio Grande Valley:
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX, to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy Counties) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA's mission of college for all, as only 1 out of 17 students currently graduate college ready. Our mission holds true as we have over 5,000 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 300 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022.
Role Mission: IDEA Science teachers are responsible for ensuring that every IDEA student masters the academic and social skills necessary to succeed in college, while also embodying IDEA's values daily. IDEA Science teachers set ambitious goals for student achievement and diligently track student data to inform dynamic and effective daily lesson plans. IDEA Science teachers seek feedback and continue to develop their teaching practice to better serve IDEA students. We strive to accomplish goal in two ways: by giving students the chance to experience rigorous and challenging material in high school and by giving them the opportunity to gain college-credit through dual-enrollment, AP, or IB courses.
What You'll Do -- Accountabilities
• Implement state learning standards and IDEA curricula and assessments to meet ambitious academic expectations
• Learn, master, and deliver content and grade level curriculum, core content objectives, and texts
• Submit weekly lesson plans two weeks in advance for feedback
• Implement formal and informal assessments to track each individual student's progress and learning needs, adjust lesson plans accordingly and update gradebook weekly
• Communicate students' progress with student and family on a weekly basis
• Effective facilitation and personal use of technology as a communication and educational tool to improve student achievement and manage work related tasks.
• Implement a clear and consistent behavior management system that aligns to campus- wide initiatives while developing students' character and sense of community in the classroom
• Help shape and develop a school wide culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for each student
• Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect for the communities in which they identify.
• Host necessary tutoring sessions to meet all students' needs
• Participate in weekly manager check-ins, grade-level meetings, before and after-school duties, and school wide meetings and functions
• Engage in summer and year-long district, school and personal learning and development
• Minimum of 40+ hours spent at school per week
• Additional responsibilities may include: after-school tutoring or Saturday school and are based on the needs of our scholars
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
• Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
• Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
• Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
• Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
• Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
• Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
• Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
• We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
What You Bring -- Competencies
• Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
• Experience: Experience in a classroom setting preferred
• Licenses or Certifications: State certification preferred but not required
Knowledge and Skills:
• Aligned or relevant coursework that indicates experience or exposure to upper level Science content
• Knowledge of core academic subject assigned and ability to pass a grade level aligned IDEA content assessment
• Basic knowledge of curricula and instructional practices or implementation
• Ability to instruct students and manage student behavior
• Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
What We Offer
• This role is eligible for various stipend opportunities and incentives through our Teacher Career Pathway. For more information about our compensation and total rewards, visit our benefits page. Click Here
• Additional hourly compensation is provided for after school tutoring or Saturday school as assigned
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com-muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.