Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools :
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 3 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions an d new launches in Tampa Bay , FL (2021) , and Jacksonville, FL (2022) !
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
. About Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge is ranked in the top 100 on the U.S. News and World Report Best Places to Live Rankings. It is also home to IDEA Innovation and IDEA Bridge, the first IDEA Public School regions outside of the state of Texas. We are honored to pledge our passion and focus to the students of Baton Rouge and provide an educational experience that will end with college acceptance and matriculation.
While Baton Rouge is well known for its delicious cuisine and entertainment, it is also a nucleus for an abundant culture and history. We are ecstatic to enlist a cohort of strong individuals that will help support our students' dreams to get to and through college. About New Orleans
IDEA New Orleans opened their doors in the fall of 2019 with the launch of IDEA Oscar Dunn. Home to world-class restaurants, and beautiful architecture - IDEA is ecstatic to enlist a cohort of strong individuals that will help support our students' dreams to get to and through college.
In 2017, only 1 in 6 students in the state of Louisiana graduated college ready. Changing this statistic is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students. IDEA Southern Louisiana is part of the solution for sharing the endless possibilities in grade school, college, and beyond. Role Mission :
The Bus Driver is responsible for transporting students over scheduled routes to and from a variety of school sites and to assure the safety of the passengers riding the school bus. Employees in this classification receive general supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. This job class is responsible for ensuring the safety of all passengers including special education students while operating the assigned bus and for ensuring the assigned bus is always in a safe operating condition. What You'll Do - Accountabilities : Safely transports students
- Drives a school bus safely in accordance with time schedules; transporting students to and from their homes, a variety of school sites, and on field trips as assigned
- Maintains order and proper discipline of passengers; resolving disputes, documents and reports severe disciplinary cases
Understands the basics of transporting students
- Conducts established safety and operational inspection of assigned vehicle daily
- Oversees the loading and unloading of students, releasing students to authorized individual, and assures that safety belts are fastened in passenger vans
- Maintains a variety of records and reports including but not limited to mileage, routing, maintenance, and time schedules
- Notifies appropriate individuals of any delays in scheduled route
Must be able to understand and take directions and feedback well
- Ensure to always have proper credentials (CDL, Medical Card, & Region One) updated accordingly to DOT and IDEA policy
Must manage multiple tasks by prioritizing work
- Have an open communication channel with managers of campuses they drive
- Able to accept negative and positive feedback
- Able to self -reflect on own performance to improve the operation
Be able to work on an open calendar
- Needs to adapt to changing circumstances while performing various tasks
- Handle various tasks simultaneously within established time constraints
- Able to work on evenings, weekends, holidays, etc.
We look for Team and Family who embody the followingvaluesand characteristics:
- Expected to work a minimum of 32 hours per week - Not including Extra Curricular Activities assigned by campus
- Able to work extended hours when necessary to meet business needs
- Believes and is committed to our missionand being an agent of change: that all studentsare capable of gettingto and through college
- Has demonstrated effectiveoutcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improvequickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationshipsin order toachieve outcomes
- We believe in education asa professionand hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
- Education: GED or High School Diploma
- Experience: Experience in the operation of large passenger vehicles; or an equivalent combination of experience and training; ability to manage student behavior
- License or Certification : Valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with class P (passenger) and S (school bus) endorsements
What We Offer Compensation:
- Completed bus driver safety training course
- Must be over 21 years old
- Pass alcohol and drug tests
- DOT Physical Examination
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $16.96 for 0 years of experienceand $21.20.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com-muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable. To Apply :
Please submit your application online through Jobvite . It's in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. It is recommended that you include a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in IDEA and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.