Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools :
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 3 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions an d new launches in Tampa Bay , FL (2021) , and Jacksonville, FL (2022) !
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
. About the Rio Grande Valley:
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX, to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy Counties) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA's mission of college for all, as only 1 out of 17 students currently graduate college ready. Our mission holds true as we have over 5,000 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 300 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022. Director of College Counseling Instructional Role Mission:
IDEA Directors of College Counseling oversee the college admissions and financial aid application process for 12th grade students at an IDEA College Preparatory school (Grades 6-12) in order to ensure 100% of high school graduates enroll at and set foot on a four-year college or university. The DCC manages the Counseling team (often comprised of the College Counselor and Road-To-and-Through (RTTC) Teachers). They educate students and parents about the benefits of post-secondary education. They guide students in their college search and selection and ensure all students are on track for graduation. Directors of College Counseling may also teach college readiness lessons. What You'll Do -- Accountabilities Matriculation and College Acceptance
- 100% of students accepted to a College/University
- 50% of students accepted to Tier I/II College/University
- 100% of graduates matriculate to a College/University
- 25% of students matriculate to Tier I/Tier II College/University
- 96% students passing all classes (On track to graduate)
- 21 average ACT score
- 0 average GPA for seniors
- 100% of seniors on track to graduate Student Engagement
- 95% of students attend field lessons
- 75% of high school juniors attend Summer Away Experience
- 100% students complete community service hours
- 90% student persistence
- 93% high school persistence
- 85% college counseling team retention
We look for Team and Family who embody the followingvaluesand characteristics:
- Manage and lead the college counseling team to meet student achievement and department goals
- Ensure all students are on-track to graduate from high school
- Guide students and parents through the college search, admissions, and financial aid processes
- Support teachers in planning college field lessons and scheduling college visits to IDEA
- Teach RoadToand Through College (RTTC) classes to 9-12th graders
- Create the school's master class schedule and schedule all students
- Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect for the communities in which they identify.
- Participate in weekly manager check-ins, grade-level meetings, parent meetings, parent information sessions, before and after-school duties, and school wide meetings and functions
- Engage in summer and year-long district, school and personal learning and development
- Minimum of 40+ hours spent at school per week
Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable): What You Bring -- Competencies: Qualifications:
- Believes and is committed to our missionand being an agent of change: that all studentsare capable of gettingto and through college
- Has demonstrated effectiveoutcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improvequickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationshipsin order toachieve outcomes
- We believe in education asa professionand hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
Knowledge and Skills:
- Education: Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree in counseling preferred
- Experience: At least 3 years of teaching experience; High School counseling experience preferred
- Ability to write and speak Spanish preferred
- Certificate: Valid Texas Counseling certificate preferred
What We Offer Compensation:
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
- Experience in college admissions is preferable
- Ability to build solid student and family relationships
- Strong command of the English language both verbal and written
- Ability to manage other adults to achieve ambitious outcomes
- Proven track record of results with student academic progress
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $69,769 and $ 85,118, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment. Other Benefits:
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com-muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.