Company DescriptionAbout KIPP Texas
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.Job DescriptionThe Opportunity
A Construction Manager (CM) helps oversee and manage capital projects for KIPP including the construction of new buildings, renovation of buildings, capital replacement projects and large capital maintenance projects. The CM will be responsible for delivering these projects on time and under budget with a complete scope of work. CM will plan and coordinate projects as a member of KIPP's construction management team. The CM will report directly to the Senior Director of Construction.
The position requires energetic and goal oriented individuals that can work closely in a team environment. The position provides on-the-job training and hands-on experience in the various disciplines and roles performed by KIPP's construction department. Team members have the opportunity to continuously demonstrate their potential for advancement by mastering the skills needed and experiences learned for career and leadership development.
Assignment is San Antonio based but Houston and Austin location will be given consideration for the right candidate.Top Qualities
Integrity, honesty, thoroughness, self-starter, persistent, task-master, good communicator, flexible, customer-focused, accurate, dependable, detailed in all duties, prompt and punctual, follow up, and documents well. Presents self in a professional and self-confident manner.Skills Needed and Demonstrated within areas of responsibility
Champion diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) within the department and KIPP. Strong analytical ability to solve problems and good basic math. Good verbal, written and computer communication with ability for high customer service and follow up. Proficient with computer and related applications (MS Office, Outlook, Google Documents, Project Management applications). People and personal skills and tactfulness are a must. Able to start and finish tasks and assignments with minimal oversight within areas of responsibility. Ability to organize, prioritize and manage self and others with multiple tasks and projects having differing deadlines and deliverables for self and others. Enjoys challenging work, details and completing tasks on time. Key ResponsibilitiesWithin Areas of Responsibility and Control, The Construction Manager will:
- Project Management:
- Do work and lead teams in planning, design and construction operations with hands-on role as "Owner's Representative" for KIPP Texas Public Schools.
- Lead and assist work with interdepartmental teams managing deliverables as part of the overall construction project requirements for the KIPP.
- Lead and assist with growth planning, facility design assumptions, estimating, value engineering, scheduling and expediting.
- Lead, collaborate and contribute as a member of the Construction Management Team, provide technical expertise and guidance in the overall execution of KIPP construction projects and programs.
- Create, maintain and oversee project schedule and budget controls for new construction and large capital maintenance / replacement projects.
- Create and maintain systems and controls for managing areas within your responsibility and control.
- Create and contribute to systems and procedures to ensure that lessons learned and best practices are captured and implemented throughout the program with a goal of reducing KIPP's total cost of ownership and providing best value.
- Participate with and lead others in fulfilling their duties for the project in your role as KIPP's Owner Representative.
- Project Planning
- Do the work and assist with pre-construction, site assessments, budget and scope development and initial project evaluations
- Create and maintain initial project schedules and pro forma budgets for projects
- Participate in the project approval process including helping with stake-holder management, permit, contracting and negotiations.
- Project Execution
QualificationsConstruction Manager; Required experience and abilities
- Day to day oversight and coordination of projects. assignment, and task that are within areas and responsibilities of your control.
- Do the work and assist with developing project execution plans which identifies the project objectives, success criteria, contracting strategy, risk assessment / mitigation plan, safety plan and overall criteria for success
- Assist and oversee the execution of projects, directly or indirectly, with the assistance of direct hire construction managers or an owner's agent / architect, and establish mechanisms to ensure the interests of KIPP are protected
- Create and maintain Project Controls such as project coordination plans, stake-holder management plans, communication plans, reporting plans, change order and document retention strategies
- Assist and guide design meetings with the project architects, engineers, construction contractors and KIPP personnel within areas of your responsibility.
- Create, support and dead the development of criteria and support the execution of sourcing activities to hire contractors and procure materials
- Manage the budget and enforce change management processes
- Produce and lead, with the help of the project controls personnel, periodic reporting for schedule and budget
- Produce reports as required by management
- Assist and lead coordination efforts between contractors, KIPP personnel, management and school / site-based personnel and ensure projects on existing campuses are executed in a way that minimizes disruptions to teaching and learning
- Assist and lead value engineering activities to reduce KIPP's total cost of ownership
- Other duties as assigned
- 10-15 years of professional work experience, including business and leadership management experience in relevant construction or related industries.
- Minimum 5-10 years of direct construction management/supervisory experience with a general contractor, commercial owner/developer or relevant construction services firm experience deemed necessary for the position
- Experience and responsibility for conceptual planning, budgeting, scheduling, and on time delivery, including responsibility for profit/loss performance will be given preference.
- Proven record of success working on new and renovation projects of$10M-$20M as lead or key team member
- Proven ability to run projects, meetings and presentations that are critical to success
- Proven ability to develop, create and implement project controls
- Proven ability to complete projects and task on time without deficiencies or defect
- Proven ability to identify risk and successfully implement mitigation controls
- Have significant and proven technical knowledge in construction, means and methods, contracts and risk management as well as all competencies required
- Proven leadership, team building and problem solving skills that is acknowledged by peers and industry professionals in areas of responsibility
The KIPP Construction Manager is an integral part of the KIPP construction team responsible for the development, planning, and construction of Capital Maintenance and Capital Growth projects in Houston, Dallas-FortWorth, Austin and San Antonio.
- KIPP Construction Managers are assigned individual projects to manage and have profit/loss responsibility on their projects.
- KIPP Project Controls support and facilitate workflow across all projects.
- KIPP Construction Team Members report directly to the Sr. Director of Construction.
As Construction Manager, the position requires a capable and experienced construction manager who is a self starter, requires minimal supervision and demonstrates sound judgement and decision making and has proven leadership and team building skills. In addition, the candidate will be expected to perform in these areas:
General Skills and Qualifications
- The Construction Manager will be responsible for and lead challenging projects across regions for KIPP Texas.
- Able to manage and oversee multiple projects as assigned.
- Able to travel and support projects in each region
- Experienced in each phase of the construction life cycle (planning, design, construction, closeout)
- Proficient in computer use, systems, applications and communications
- Proficient in computer aided scheduling applications and CPM management techniques.
- Experienced or demonstrates understanding of pre-construction and feasibility analysis on projects
- Experienced or demonstrates ability to mentor and train others
- Experienced or demonstrates ability to build and create systems essential for construction project controls
- Capable time manager with strong organizational skills
- Capable to start and finish projects with success
- Capable team leader as the Owner's Representative on construction projects
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering or a related discipline, plus professional work experience, including business and leadership management experience consistent with the position being considered
- Professional experience with construction management/supervisory experience with a general contractor, commercial owner/developer or related construction services firm
- Experience working in a school district, non-profit organization, or government agency, will be given preference when applicable for the position being considered
- Communicate effectively in writing, presentation, and discussion with a diverse set of stakeholders including KIPP leaders, executives and industry professionals.
- Be a team player and be capable of building consensus to support the execution of new initiatives and change management
- Embrace the KIPP mission and culture
- Demonstrate customer-focused attention that is effective, efficient, and ethical
- Proven leadership skills, self-motivated, collaborative and entrepreneurial by nature
- Manage projects independently and successfully by maintaining cost, schedule and other deliverables
- Excellent attention to detail and a high level of accuracy required
- Excellent organizational skills required
- Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to work
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
- Proficiency in Google applications (Docs, Sheets, and Forms)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Advanced Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is required for complex analysis
- Reliable transportation required;
- Willingness and ability to travel to and from work sites and other Texas regions when required in the performance of duties and in accordance with company policies.
- Veterans of the US military preferred; and
- Flexibility in work schedule.
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas' competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.