The Grant Writer is a full-time, remote position responsible for a portfolio of development projects including writing and managing a robust grant portfolio, including school management RFPs, foundation proposals, government grants, and strategic initiatives.
This Grant Writer must be located in the PST/MST time zone.
Entrepreneurial Ventures in Education is a non-profit organization working to improve the educational performance and life opportunities of children who live in underserved communities. Our flagship program,
Phalen Leadership Academies, is a school turnaround operator that works to transform underperforming schools into high-quality schools that children need and deserve.
Founded in 2013, PLA is currently serving over 10,000 children across 25 schools. Over 90% of PLA scholars are eligible for free school meals. We have developed a model that has successfully partnered with public schools and districts to raise student achievement, consistently transforming underperforming schools into A-rated schools. Our scholars experience significantly higher academic growth both at the local level and nationwide. Core pillars of the PLA model include rigorous curriculum; a coaching cycle that grows educators; daily enrichment opportunities; and authentic partnership with families.
At PLA, we believe that with the right education, all children can fulfill their tremendous innate potential.
The Grant Writer will help maximize financial support to Phalen Leadership Academies by developing compelling responses to operator management opportunities, and seeking foundation and government grants that can increase the margin of excellence at our schools.
Working under the supervision of the Chief Strategy and Development Officer and reporting to the Proposal Manager, the Grant Writer will support the achievement of ambitious business development goals through research, analysis, writing, and editing for a broad range of audiences. The Grant Writer should exemplify intelligence, logic, empathy, tenacity, authenticity, and optimism.
Ideally, you enjoy utilizing the writing process to go beyond a superficial response and do not quit until you find real substance. You are suspicious of answers that seem too easy and always want to know more. You are an optimist and hold a genuine belief in the potential of our students and communities that never falters.
While the combination of a background in public education and large-scale grant writing experience is not a requirement, you should ideally have a solid track record in one of the two areas; have worked in a fast-paced, high-performing environment; and be prepared for a steep learning curve.
- Write Request for Information responses for school management opportunities, as well as foundation and government grant proposals.
- Respond to school management possibilities and create aligned materials describing the PLA educational program for a diverse range of decision-makers
- Develop high-caliber proposals that position the organization effectively for management contracts and philanthropic donors.
- Provide research matrices and briefs as needed to support network growth.
- Potential topics include state harbormasters, growth funding prospects, comparable districts, and more.
- Develop interim and final grant reports, including project budgets and budget narratives.
- Develop project plans and track completion against key deliverables, as well as centralized plans and replicable processes.
- Collect and synthesize information about PLA programs as needed, developing a deep understanding of program content to ensure integrity and quality of proposal writing.
- Create language resources that the team can leverage to use in proposals to reflect the latest developments in the PLA educational program.
- Work across Academics, Finance, Human Resources and School Treasurers to ensure that grant funds are budgeted accurately and aligned with strategic plans.
- Execute with exceptional fidelity PLA’s core systems and processes for project and grants management.
- Develop materials showing progress of PLA programs for donor updates and ongoing communications.
- Ensure accurate record-keeping and timely communication with funders; oversee grants calendar and maintain up-to-date database records for institutional partners.
- Manage efficient operational system to ensure accurate records and timely communication with funders; oversee grants calendar and maintain up-to-date database records for institutional partners.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience, including but not limited to professional writing, business development activities, and program or project management
- Previous successful teaching experience preferred, not required
- Successful work experience in fast-paced entrepreneurial environments.
- Demonstrated superior writing, research, project management and organizational skills.
- Must be able to simultaneously execute multiple assignments with quality and handle complex tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Adheres to the highest ethical standards, demonstrates empathetic disposition and good judgment.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of public agencies and foundations in order to communicate the short and long-term goals and priorities of PLA in a manner that is aligned.
- Ability to handle problems as they occur, and follow through on all aspects of the position.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data and information from multiple sources and develop comprehensive recommendations.
- Willingness and ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge of office and productivity software sufficient to function smoothly in a highly technology-based environment (including but not limited to word processing, spreadsheet, database, email, and web-based applications).
- Dependability, humility, sense of humor, and strong commitment to PLA’s mission and the communities we serve.
The Grant Writer is a remote, home office position. A quiet working environment with high-speed internet is required. Employees supply their own cell phone and computer.
Please note that only candidates capable of working in the PST/MST will be considered.