MISSION: The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will improve outcomes for all public-school students in the state by providing leadership, guidance, and support to school systems.
The Texas Education Agency is seeking a Senior Contract Specialist to join the Contracts and Purchasing Division. This senior-level position is responsible for coordination and facilitation of procurement activities associated with solicitation development, advertisement, evaluation of proposals, and pre-award. This highly experienced and motivated individual performs procurement activities related to the agency’s competitive solicitations, including critical, complex, and time-sensitive solicitations operating under minimal supervision with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
The TEA procurement service delivery model groups contract specialists into teams aligned to the phases of the procurement cycle; this senior level position is part of the procurement team who draft and advertise competitive solicitations and facilitate the vendor selection (evaluation) process for those solicitations. The team develops approximately 40 solicitations (RFP, RFQ, SOW, and RFO) each year. Individual members of the team will publish 8-12 solicitations each year and manage an average workload of 6-7 solicitations in development, publishing, and/or evaluation activities at any given time. This position will assist the team lead with data analytics, reports, process and document reviews and improvements. The senior contract specialist will also assist the team lead with quality control reviews and other activities to ensure team compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
Flexible work location within the state of Texas may be considered for qualified candidates.
• Coordinate and facilitate procurement activities associated with solicitation development, advertisement, evaluation of proposals/responses, and pre-award activities.
• Maintain and update solicitation related information on electronic trackers and other information management systems for internal and external stakeholders; interpret and manipulate data to create reports and improve performance.
• Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to provide guidance regarding procurement policies, procedures, and best practices to ensure solicitations are suitably detailed and include all required components.
• Conduct quality control reviews to monitor and ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
• Review, update/develop and maintain solicitation related policies, procedures, forms, and templates.
Education: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, information technology, education, finance, or other closely related field. An advanced degree in a related field is preferred.
Experience: At least two (2) years of experience in public procurement. Substantial experience in Texas public procurement, specifically competitive solicitation development and related contract activities, is preferred.
Unless the applicant is a licensed attorney, current certification as a Certified Texas Contract Developer (CTCD) is required.
Substitutions: Each additional year of related experience above the required minimum may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis
• If a licensed attorney, must be in good standing with the State Bar of Texas
• Ability to prioritize work, operate effectively with minimal supervision, take appropriate initiative, and exercise independent judgment • Demonstrated track record of exceptional project and time management skills
• Success leveraging different strategies and interpersonal skills to move work forward, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability while ensuring compliance with applicable procurement laws, rules, and best practices
• Meticulous attention to detail with the ability to produce high-quality work in a fast-paced environment
• Desire to self-reflect, give/receive feedback, and continuously improve
• Ability to engage in a collaborative, results-oriented team environment
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Skill and experience in using data analytics to improve process
• Knowledge and experience with the Texas Public Information Act requirements
• Experience developing Information Technology (IT) solicitations and/or other types of complex, high-provide contracts preferred
• Experience providing feedback and supervising the work of others
• Experience and ability to correctly interpret, adhere to, and communicate an understanding of Texas laws, rules, and best practices relating to procurement
• Experience with Centralized Accounting and Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS) Financials and TxSmartBuy applications, preferred • Dual certification (CTCD/CTPM and Certified Texas Contract Manager (CTCM)) preferred
• Knowledge and experience with Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) requirements and reporting preferred
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or veteran status, unless an applicant is entitled to the veteran’s preference.
Additional Military Crosswalk (occupational specialty code) information can be accessed here. Click on the military “occupational category” that corresponds with the state classification in this job posting title to review the codes, ratings, and description for the matching position provided by the State Auditor's Office.
This position requires the applicant to meet Agency standards and criteria which may include passing a pre-employment criminal background check, prior to being offered employment by the Agency.
WorkMonger is managing the candidate sourcing for this search. For expedited handling of your application, please be sure to apply through this post.