TITLE: Staff Accountant
BASIC FUNCTION: Under direct supervision of AAMA Comptroller, an employee in this position has the responsibility for supporting the Grant Management activities of the Finance / Program Department Duties related to grant budget preparation, grant reporting and tracking. This position focuses on performing detail-oriented accounting work involving the classifying, posting, balancing, reconciling, and summarizing of financial transactions as they relate to federal, state, local, foundation, and private grants. Duties assigned may vary according to the specific needs of the Programs/Division and/or allocation of workload. This position reports to the Comptroller and related Program Director.
- Associate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field, and 3 to 5 years of general ledger and grant accounting experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Non-profit and/or school finance experience required.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and Word.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, or related field, and 1 to 3 years of general ledger accounting and grant accounting experience, or current academic studies progressing towards the attainment of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the above related fields of study.
- Working knowledge in GAAP and GASB as well as governmental accounting practice.
- Experience with Ascender or other accounting software preferred.
- Experience with charter school finance preferred.
- Maintain a system of financial accounting, reporting, and record keeping in accordance to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) for various grants awarded to AAMA and GIS.
- Assists Program Director/Manager, Grant Writer and the Comptroller with pre-award budget
development and performs post-award budget revision reporting for grants.
- Schedules and trains new Project/Program Manager on accessing their grant budget reports.
- Responsible for budgetary control and post award compliance with federal, state, local, and other sponsors/Foundations
- Responsible for the invoicing/billing as needed and reconciliation processes related to funding drawdowns from external, federal, and state agencies.
- Responsible for the monitoring of grant activity including cost overruns, cost sharing and unallowable administrative expenses.
- Reconciles and prepares monthly and quarterly financial grant reports in accordance to generally accepted accounting procedures.
- Prepares and maintains reimbursement expenditure reports for grants and reconciles monthly grant reports to funds received.
- Maintains monthly shared spreadsheets for current and pending federal, state, local, community college, foundation, and private grants.
- Attends monthly review meetings with the Fund Development, Program Director, Controller, and Staff Accountant – Financial Services
- Assists the Comptroller and Finance Analyst/Staff Accountant – Financial Services with Grant Monitoring and Grant Audits.
- Assists the Comptroller with the preparation of the annual grant report and Single Audit.
- Maintain knowledge of internal control requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including project and committee work.
- Cross train on other Finance / Business Office functions.
- Flexibility to take on new tasks as the Finance Department needs change.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS None
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office
OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE CATEGORY: No exposure
||$65,000.00 - $75,000.00 / Per Year
This search is being managed by WorkMonger