KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/ .Job DescriptionThe Opportunity
The Dean of Multilingual Education (MLE) plays a central role in the fulfillment of KIPP Texas' mission by directly impacting the academic success of all Multilingual Learners. The Dean of MLE is a campus leader who supports the administration of the multilingual program, leads professional development of teachers regarding English Language Development (ELD) and instructional practices for emergent bilingual students (EBs). In addition, the Dean of MLE maintains current and complete records of students in the program and manages screening, testing, and parent communication. The Dean of MLE also provides ESL instruction with small groups of newcomer/beginner students for 1-2 class periods per day. The Dean of MLE reports to the School Leader and follows a 12-month calendar. Duties and Essential Job Functions:Sheltered Instruction Coach (50%)
ML Case Manager (50%)
- Lead ML professional development for teachers and school staff.
- Monitor progress of teachers' use of the 7-steps to language-rich and ELLevation strategies.
- Highlight best linguistic practices across grade levels.
- Enhance ML program hiring practices and support ESL paraprofessionals and Bilingual/ESL teacher retention.
QualificationsKnowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Responsible for completing LPAC and TELPAS tasks on time with fidelity and validity.
- Build strong relationships with all emergent bilingual (EB) students and teach 1-2 English Language Development and Acquisition (ELDA) courses to newcomers/beginners.
- Facilitate specific EB Title III events with families and the community to foster welcoming school culture.
Required Education and Experience:
- Experience in coaching teachers to effectively plan and deliver instructional strategies for emergent bilingual learners such as content and language accommodations, explicit academic vocabulary instruction, sheltered-instruction and cross-linguistic connections
- Understanding of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) and have demonstrated ability to design effective lessons and assessments that directly align with the standards
- Knowledge of second language acquisition theory, pedagogy, and practice
- Experience in cross-curricular and integrated approaches in curriculum and instruction to promote all four language domains
- Knowledge of state and federal guidelines for Bilingual and ESL programs
- Demonstrated success in English Learner student achievement as measured by analysis of assessment results
- Detail oriented and able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (bilingual in Spanish preferred)
Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
- Bachelor's degree (required)
- At least two years teaching in an ESL or Bilingual setting
- Strong record of advancing multilingual students' content and language skills
Additional InformationCompensation and Benefits
- Primary - Texas teacher license with a Bilingual Education endorsement
- Secondary - Texas teacher license with an English as a Second Language endorsement
As a full-time KIPP Texas employee you are eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas' benefit plans. KIPP Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices with competitive rates, including medical, dental, and vision options, life insurance, and disability plans.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.