2023-24 Instructional Assistant Job DescriptionHiring Process:Step 1
: Submit ApplicationCompleted application include:
- Cover letter
- Professional reference letter
- Three professional references' contact information
: Phone InterviewStep 3:
School Site Interview
*Selected applicants will be invited to a final round interview with a specific school site.Stella High Charter Academy (SHCA) is a high school located in South Los Angeles. SHCA is seeking full-time Instructional Assistants to support student learning for the 23-24 school year.ABOUT US:
Bright Star Schools is a free, publicly funded and open enrollment non-profit organization with nine public charters in urban Los Angeles. Across all of our Bright Star sites, over 90% of our students are eligible for free and reduced lunch.
Our mission is to provide holistic, inclusive support for all students to achieve academic excellence and grow their unique talents so that they find joy in higher education, career, and life. Bright Star students will become leaders who act with integrity and champion equity to enrich our communities and the world. The framework to our success is our core operating principles, which are Integridad, Ubuntu, Kohyang (고향), and Growth.
At Bright Star, we're committed to our educators' success. We provide over 260 hours of differentiated professional development each year and offer numerous leadership opportunities to support our teachers to become experts in their craft. We also offer small class sizes, comprehensive teacher support, and numerous collaboration opportunities across the organization and within school sites.
Bright Star Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.EDUCATION/QUALIFICATIONS:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Bachelor's Degree required (Bilingual in Spanish or Korean preferred but not required)
- HOURS: 35-40 hours per week; starts at $19 an hour
include the following, as well as, other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned.I. STUDENT INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Orients and provides instructional assistance to individuals or small groups of students in classrooms. (If school is in person, this will occur in classrooms at the school site. If for any reason, we ever move to virtual instruction due to following local health guidelines, this instructional support would occur remotely via online learning.)
- Supports instructional outcomes for students by assisting with checking for student understanding and facilitating differentiated supports for students, by direction of the school administrators or teacher and in collaboration with the lead teacher
- At school campus (during hybrid or in person learning) or virtually (during any distance learning), leads small group instruction with students and tutor individuals and small groups of students in various subject areas.
- Works to support the teacher to meet students' learning needs in the classroom
- Orients and provides instructional assistance to individuals or small groups of students.
- Tutors individuals and small groups of students in various subject areas.
- Assists teacher in establishing and maintaining a clean, safe and pleasant classroom and learning environment.
- Assists in preparing instructional materials.
- Assists in maintaining student records and files.
- Operates equipment such as copy machines, computers and audiovisual equipment.
- Supervises students in all indoor and outdoor activities, ensuring a safe environment.
- Supervises students during breakfast, lunch and snack time.
- Assists in teaching children to become responsible for their decisions and actions.
- Guides children's behaviors in a positive way that teaches self-respect along with respect for others and the community around them.
- Encourages children to interact positively with other children and people around them.
- Provides a wide variety of age appropriate activities that offers physical and emotional growth.
- Maintain open lines of communication with the teacher and classroom team to ensure the individual needs of all children are met.
- Provide support to others.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Must be organized, creative, independent and self-motivated, enthusiastic, dependable, detail-oriented and flexible in scheduling and prioritization, and driven by excellence.
- Must possess good communication skills to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form, including accurate grammar and business correspondence knowledge.
- Interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective relationships; demonstrated ability to communicate in situations requiring tact and poise; skilled in confidentiality and discretion.
- Must present a neat, professional appearance.
- Must be able to adjust tasks and focus with composure, and in accordance with changing deadlines and prior.
On school campusSALARY & BENEFITS:
Salary: starts at $19.00 per hour
Benefits: For full time employees - Health, dental, vision, STRS retirement matching, life insurance, short-term disability, optional 403b plan, sick and vacation paid time off, and holidays.