Department: Program-Academic Job Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt Reports To: Executive Director
Travel Required: Between campuses and home visits
Positions Supervised: Teachers, Kitchen Supervisor, Facilities, Program Administration, and
Program Leadership Team
Work Schedule: Year round, except for 2 weeks during July
M-F 7:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. On designated closing day(s), departure time is 5:30 p.m. or when the last child leaves. (As an exempt employee, one can reasonably expect to work more than the core hours stated).
To provide an exemplary early childhood program to instill and foster the social, emotional, physical, intellectual, and spiritual growth of economically at-risk children and their families.
Oversee and lead the academic program, cultivate strong relationships with teachers, staff, families and board members, and manage daily school operations and policies; Supervise approximately 35 staff members; Serve as part of the Leadership Team
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Planning, Development, and Program Oversight
- Assist in the strategic planning of annual and long-term goals with the Leadership Team and Board of Directors
- Direct and oversee the duties and responsibilities of the Program Leadership Team
- Create, implement and assess a high-quality education program, with social-emotional learning focus, aligned with state licensing and accreditation standards in collaboration with others.
- Serve as a spiritual leader infusing the teachings of Jesus in curriculum, prayer and devotionals
- Build relationships with teachers, staff, and families to partner in meeting the needs of the children
- Serve as the Director in Charge for licensing purposes on specific days overseeing the program during school
Team Management and Development
- Lead approximately 35 staff members across the campus, including supervision of teachers and other program staff to ensure successful implementation of Small Steps’ program in the classroom and school wide
- Strategically recruit, develop, celebrate and retain the best staff and teachers for Small Steps’ children, resulting in a positive, productive school culture and strong morale
- Facilitate, maintain and evaluate professional development for staff
- Implement constructive feedback to teaching staff
- Collaborate with Executive Director and peers to develop a performance management plan and systems to ensure learning is fully maximized and streamlined across both Small Steps’ campuses
- Cultivate strong relationships with community partners, including volunteers
- Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
- Patience - Ability to act calmly under stress and strain, and of not being hasty or impetuous.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Friendly - Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward others.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Energetic - Ability to work at a sustained pace and produce quality work.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Coaching and Development - Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas.
- Team Builder - Ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
- Creative - Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea. SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelor's Degree (four year college or technical school) Required, Field of Study: Child
Development, Early Childhood, or Education EC-12
- Master's Degree, preferred
- 5 years of experience in educational leadership
- Experience working with low-income or Title 1 schools
- Experience using Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in the classroom
- Commitment to the Christian Faith and using spirituality in the classroom
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office
Certifications & Licenses:
Candidate should have a current Texas Drivers’ License and be able to drive a 14 passenger van (no special license required).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the company may deem appropriate.